housing grants to buy a home for a low income family?

Share This

My family is low income and we badly need to move. Our current landlord won’t fix our place without raising our rent, even though it has been deemed a hazard by the health and human services.

We found a cheap farm with a few acres and are looking for a housing grant. We can’t get a loan, we need a free grant. Is there anything like that out there??

I’ve looked online but all I can find are scams. Help??


2 comments to housing grants to buy a home for a low income family?

  • Rose2B  says:

    Your question is a little vague. You won’t find a grant to pay for the entire property. The only grants that are available are for down payment assistance. You still have to qualify for a loan, they’ll just provide the money for the down payment. Go to your city, county, state, and http://www.hud.gov websites & skim for the info there. If there are grants in your area they’d be listed on these pages. And since your looking at a farm your best bet would be a USDA 0% down loan (you can probably still get grants to pay a down payment if you’d like to reduce the amount of the mortgage if you qualify for the grants). USDA only finances “rural” properties. You can go to: http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/incomeEligibilityAction.do?pageAction=state&NavKey=income@11 to see what USDA loans/assistance you’ll qualify for.

  • Guyanese Goddess  says:

    Elimination of Non Profit Down Payment Assistance
    On July 30, 2008, President Bush signed H.R. 3221 -- Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008. Section 2113 of the bill prohibits seller-funded DPA (Down Payment Assistance) for loans backed by the Federal Housing Administration. Prior to this bill, the seller could contribute up to 6% to the buyer to cover either a down payment or closing costs on an FHA loan. The changes took effect on Oct. 1, 2008.

Leave a reply