How can I find help fixing my roof?

Share This

I drastically need a roof but do not have the funds or credit to get it–any ideas will be greatly appreciated?

I have been to USDA but do not qualify for any assistance there as we make “too much money”. I have looked at the government website for grants but there does not seem to be one for home repairs.

Tags:  , , ,

5 comments to How can I find help fixing my roof?

  • paul  says:

    Talk to your bank and see if they can adjust you mortgage or delay a few payments. They are interested in you not becoming overwhelmed with water damage to your home.

    Check with some roofers in the area to see if any will take monthly payments for roof repairs. With jobs hard to come by they may be interested in accommodating your circumstances to get work.

  • Corky R  says:

    Other than your local churches and charities, if you’ve been to the govmt. offices and don’t qualify there, there’s just not much else available in good times, let alone in this current financial mess.

  • Don  says:

    Ask around to see if any roofer is interested in having a mistress on the side.

  • Bandett  says:

    this why people do some things their selves.

  • imisidro  says:

    Forget about grants — you’ve already seen there’s none for you

    Grants for home repairs are not given to just about anyone and everyone -- they’re got very strict qualifications. You can go to the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) and -- these are two sites created by the federal government to provide transparency and information on grants. Browse through the listings and see if you can find any grant that would support home repairs.

    There is a grant from US Department of Agriculture called 10.417 Very Low-Income Housing Repair Loans and Grants that a senior citizen may qualify to get home repairs grant

    Loan funds may be used to make general repairs and improvements to properties or to remove health and safety hazards. Grant funds may be used only to pay for the costs for repairs and improvements that will remove identified health and safety hazards or to repair or remodel dwellings to make them accessible for houshold members with disabilities. Loans and grants are typically used for repair or replacement of heating, plumbing or electrical services, roof or basic structure as well as water and waste disposal systems, and weatherization. Loans bear an interest rate of one percent and are repaid over a period up to 20 years. In addition to the above purpose, loan funds may be used to modernize the dwelling. Maximum loan amount cannot exceed a cumulative total of $20,000 to any eligible person and maximum lifetime grant assistance is $7,500 to any eligible person. The house must be located in an eligible rural area which does not exceed 10,000 population. Some places with populations between 10,000 and 25,000 may be eligible if not within a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Assistance is available in States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana’s and the Trust Territories of the Pacific Islands.

    Applicant Eligibility
    Applicants must own and occupy a home in a rural area; and be a citizen of the United States or reside in the United States after having been legally admitted for permanent residence or on indefinite parole. Loan recipients must have sufficient income to repay the loan. Grant recipients must be 62 years of age or older and be unable to repay a loan for that part of the assistance received as a grant.

Leave a reply